This post I will use to add a list of a few articles and tips regarding SharePoint Monitoring and Troubleshooting.
See the great series by Steve Chen
- Alerts in SharePoint (Troubleshooting MOSS/WSS)
- Alerts in SharePoint Part II (Troubleshooting MOSS/WSS)
- Alerts in SharePoint 2010 (Troubleshooting)
In the first article he defines 3 categories for alert mails.
- Initial mail //Sent when subscribing to alert service
- Alert mails //Sent by a timer job when an alert event is fired.
- Common issues:
- Changes in network
- Changes in mailserver e.g. “mail relay settings of the SMTP Server”
- Workflow mails //Sent by workflows initiated by the alert