So finally got Windows 8 Preview x64 working in VMware 4.0.4.
It was not without trouble though.
Solution came from LoneBagel on http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1155568
- Do first create a new image, but choose to install the OS later.
- Select profile Windows 7 x64
- Optionally increase memory to 2048 MB
- Boot the image and press Change CD/DVD Stttings
- Browse to the .iso file you downloaded – Press OK and press Restart VM on previous screen.
- Voila – Windows can access Internet and install without problems.
During installation I chose to use my Live ID as logon.
- I got some problems with 100% disk IO running pretty often. I did two things for that:
- I turned off the Windows Service Optimize Drives both in the guest and the host by changing its startup from Manual to Disabled. In Resource Monitor on the guest I saw it running as “svchost.exe (defragsvc)”. Should that not be sufficient read more here.
- Configured the virus scanner (AVG in my case) in the host to not scan the folder, where the guest image is located
- Download 4.0.4 here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/4_0|PLAYER-404|product_downloads
- Notes about v.5.0:
- My WebCam did not work in 5.0, but it did work in 4.0.4
- VMWare don’t want you to use it commercially
- You can upgrade from Win8 to Win8-pro with a MSDN subscribtion: http://jesseliberty.com/2012/10/26/upgrading-to-windows-8-pro/