This article was earlier posted togeter with this post: WSS terminology.
Look here https://rasor.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/wss-howto-build-a-wss-project/, if you want to get a running WSS.
In this section a WSS server is explored.
Refer to https://rasor.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/wss-request-lifetime/, to see the technology behind WSS.
WSS Managing tools:
- Clusteer Admin: Use this for adding databases to a cluster.
- IIS Mgr: Use this for verification of how WCA has provisioned sites.
- Network Load Balancing Mgr: Use this for verification of how WCA has done farm mangament. Or must the mangament be done from her?
- Services: WSS has its own set of services. Manage them here.
- SharePoint Central Admin (SPCA): Create new Site Collections from here. See: https://rasor.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/wss-howto-use-wss-central-administration/
- SharePoint P&T Configuration Wizard: This is for setting up and repair WSS.
I do not know yet when you need to manage these services.
A WSS ISAPI Extension group is added and enabled. If normal ASP.NET sites are not supposed to run on the server, I guess the ASP.NET groups can be set prohibited.
Press Properties on the WSS ISAPI Extension group to see which dll’s is receiving requests from IIS:
On the Virtual PC server there are two sites preinstalled:
- WSS Central Admin : http://spvm:8080/default.aspx
- One WSS Web App (named Team Site): SharePoint on port 80: http://spvm/default.aspx
They are set up to run on different credentials:
WSS Developing tools:
- MS .NET Framework SDK: Extra .NET tools and documentation
- MS SQL Server: Verify data in Config- and Content DB
- MS Visual Studio 2005: Use this to create custom Web Parts, List definitions, Site definittions for WSS
- WSS3.0 SDK: Documentation for the Microsoft.SharePoint assemblies
- SharePoint Solution Generator: Use this to create custom List definitions, Site definittions for WSS
- VSeWSS 1.1 User Guide: Documentation for the WSS templates in Visual Studio 2k5
SharePoint Solution Generator
Create Site Definitions or List Definitions without Visual Studio skills.
Visual Studio 2005
WSS Project templates and the Web Part template generated files in the Solution Explorer
WSS File templates: